Oscar up the Gog

www. Jawapro .com
                    A Seriously Froody Website

I Almost Killed Chris

Author: jawapro
Date: Fri 07/12/2012 07:25 PM

This is the story of how I almost killed Chris...

Chris lived with me for a year or so and sometimes I felt like killing him - but this was the only time I actually went close!

Chris decided to try the challenging route through the mud-hole, and got bogged. Nothing too unusual there.

So I turned around and Chris tried to winch from me - but it was just dragging me towards the hole - so we gave up on going forward, and decided we needed to snatch him out backwards.

Now - almost everyone knows you don’t snatch from a towball - because towballs are known to snap and go flying through windows and killing people.

So we were using the tongue where the tow-ball attaches. That should be nice and strong.

Well - if you look closely in the photo above, you might notice that the snatch strap is attached to the back of Chris’s car - and then leads THROUGH his back windown into his car.

My entire tow hitch broke off the back of my car and hurtled through Chris’s car. It destroyed both back doors, the passenger seat, and the front windscreen!

If it had been on the other side of the car, or if Chris had had a passenger - the outcome could have been aweful.

The entire tow-hitch came off!

It’s not small either - and tore through Chris’s car so fast neither of us really knew what happened. Chris only heard and saw the flying glass - he hadn’t realised what had happened either until we traced the snatch-strap back to work out what had gone wrong.

Goes to show - that even when you think you are doing it all correctly, every recovery is dangerous and needs to be taken seriously and carefully.

It’s as close to killing someone as I want to come.

Comments: 2

Comment: 1

Author: DarthOblivion
Date: Sat 08/12/2012 09:56 PM

Just a little bit scary... glad to hear it was only windows that got broken.

Comment: 2

Author: mlipsy
Date: Mon 24/12/2012 10:33 PM

Very glad everyone's ok. It's always a bit surreal when you reflect on a lightning quick almost-fatal incident - and cause for thanks to God! Do you get a new tow hitch now?