Oscar up the Gog

www. Jawapro .com
                    A Seriously Froody Website

Laser Skirmish

Author: jawapro
Date: Wed 30/05/2007 10:00 AM

Well - on the weekend we went down to Hobart to play Laser Skirmish.

Thanks to a large number of drop-outs (and people who couldnt be bothered travelling from the other side of the world) we only ended up with 13 people or so - but that wasnt too bad.

But someone had the idea of playing Launceston VS Hobart - which although fun, would have meant that it was 4 against 9. So General John and myself allied with Hobart.

So along with TurkeyBrain and his friends - Hobart was only one person short. But that´s ok - we got an extra hit point each because of it.

For the first match - Hobart went down badly. We killed 9 people - but the Launcestonians killed 20 of us (each person can be killed more than once).

I think I died twice that time.

The second match was a base assault - and Hobart was given the task of defending.

Now I wont say it was a landslide - but Hobart won.

So it was one to one.

And then the roles were reversed, and Hobart had to storm Launceston´s base.

General John and I worked in tandom, and we went in deep, swung around behind the base, and crept up from the rear. Snipers from behind.

To determine who wins the base assault, a score is taken by determining how many ´alive´ players are within 5 feet of the flag when the time runs out. Well, John and I managed to get outselves right under the flag. Unfourtuantly I was killed in the final seconds by Slim Jim (Launceston´s remaining player) but he was outsize the zone, and John garenteed our win (he also killed Slim). We still had another live player outside the zone - so we were the winners of that match too.

So Hobart beat Launceston. Normally I would be too thrilled out that - but as it was technically Hobart and Allies (Devonport and Bishopsbourne) then I guess thats ok.

And to round the day off, we went and watched Pirates III. My sister even brought her jar of dirt. I would have taken a photo - but I figured the cinema people might have thought I was trying to pirate the movie - so I left the camera in the car.

Oh yeah - and the next day was my Birthday. Which is partially the reason we did all that cool stuff the day before.

Comments: 8

Comment: 1

Author: Nifen
Date: Wed 30/05/2007 12:46 PM

i saw the movie... bit disappointed in the whole thing though :( too much action.. too much crappy romance while action. i felt like leaving, but thought i´d watch it all the way though. not sure what i was expecting. but it just wasn´t much fun :(

Comment: 2

Author: turkeybrain
Date: Thu 31/05/2007 12:40 AM

Once again I look like a total git in that photo! Am I poking myself in the eye? (For those of you who don´t know, I´m the one next to the flag... No! I mean I´m back row, 2nd from right.) South (with defectors... they know what´s good for them...) and limited resources, defeated a better stocked North, even though they had better training (in other words, at least a few of them had done it before.) So South proves it is still supreme. So hows the weather in Launceston today? And yes, Pirates was a little bit of a let down, but that was to be expected, being the 3rd one. That always seems to happen. I´ve seen worse movies, but there are better...

Comment: 3

Date: Thu 31/05/2007 12:57 AM

Dunno about Launceston - but the weather in Devonport is quite nice at the moment. As far as Pirates goes - yes, I was disapointed. My sister came out claiming it was better than the second - but I´m not at all sure. There seemed a lot of stupid twists and wasted plots going through the movie. Why was Captain Jack one of the brotherhood? That seems a little contrived. And more to the point - why was Barbossa? He seems like the right sort of character - but he was only a first mate until he stole the Black Pearl - why on earth was he part of the council? And Jack´s Dad. I mean - what was the point of that. There wasnt any - it wasnt very funny, and it didnt help the story. All in all - it was very disapointing when compared with the origianal - which was still one of the best movies ever. Even having the two bumbling soldiers return (they werent in the second move) wasnt very effective, because they hardly had any funny moments. But be that as it may - it wasnt one of the worst movies I´ve seen - not by a long shot. But if you want a better movie - go watch Serenity again. That tops just about anything.

Comment: 4

Author: Nifen
Date: Thu 31/05/2007 08:28 AM

I agree rob. I do like when they were in the cold. and that guy breaks his toe off :P that was funny. I actually did feel like walking out. thats the thing... I hardly ever feel that way. But it just was soo twisted. And is there going to be a forth? i felt a bit like crying.. Makes me feel little sick thinking about it. :(

Comment: 5

Date: Thu 31/05/2007 07:20 PM

There is no way I would have walked out on it - it wasnt that bad - not by a long stretch. But I was disapointed. Ah well - not all movies can live up to the standard of Serenity.

Comment: 6

Date: Thu 31/05/2007 09:38 PM

Yeah, it was boring. It was OK, but I would probably have preferred sleeping. I was tired, though.. Also way too long. Under 2 hours would have been stacks better.

Comment: 7

Date: Thu 31/05/2007 09:48 PM

Well - I didnt find it boring. I just found it disapointing considering what it COULD have been - and especialyl considering how good the first movie was. I dont know if Emma has changed her tune or not though - but she came out of the cinema saying it was fantastic and she loved it. So be carefull if you tell her you found it boring - or she might just hit you with her jar of dirt.

Comment: 8

Date: Fri 01/06/2007 02:21 AM

There have certainly been better movies, and even some more exciting ones as well, but I suppose if push comes to shove it wasn´t too bad. It wasn´t spectacular, but it certainly wasn´t brilliant. I may well have been bored due to the lack of sleep I got over the days leading up to it, and all the activity that went with them as well. And I´m not too vocal about what I thought of it either... Emma, don´t read my later comments, please!