Oscar up the Gog

www. Jawapro .com
                    A Seriously Froody Website

Which CD weighs more?

Author: jawapro
Date: Thu 14/12/2006 11:00 AM

Today in the office we were asked a strange questions.
Does a blank CD weigh more than a burnt one?

Does adding data increase the weight?

Or from a technical perspective, does the burning process remove weight?

No idea - but it was a stupid question anyway.

Comments: 7

Comment: 1

Author: turkeybrain
Date: Sat 16/12/2006 05:50 AM

I have serious doubts that the burning process changes the weight at all. The burning process is just putting little holes (well, its more like changing the colour, really) in a layer of organic dye that is sealed between the plastic of the CD. So if that is the case, the organic dye, even if burnt, is still sealed in so no gas can escape, meaning no change of weight. Not only that, as it is sealed (heard this somewhere before...) no oxidisation can occur, meaning no gain of weight is likely either. There is the possibility that the laser may actually do something to the plastic itself, but if this was the case we shouldn´t read our discs (any, even those bought ones) as they would degrade, probably to an unusable level over time. And this could even be caused by reading, not just burning. So in my (not so) humble opinion, I seriously doubt there is any chance of ANY weight change.

Comment: 2

Author: Nifen
Date: Sun 17/12/2006 08:15 AM

I believe it would weigh less actually. But it would be hard to measure as even a finger print on the cd would weigh more then the burning it self. Also air pressure would impact the weight and to top it off the heat after burning the cd would impact this as well. Good luck measuring this, you would need a totally clean and static climate free environment.

Comment: 3

Author: Nifen
Date: Sun 17/12/2006 08:18 AM

Oh to add to 29 comments. If the gas can not escape you will need to remember that a gas weighs less then ether a liquid or a solid. so even if it can not escape it will still weigh less then when it was a solid :)

Comment: 4

Date: Sun 17/12/2006 06:50 PM

Lol - what an interesting topic. This is probably the single most comments I´ve had on a post. I dont know much about chemetry and what happens when it gets burnt - but I thought it´d be lighter. I got no idea though.

Comment: 5

Author: turkeybrain
Date: Mon 18/12/2006 03:00 AM

Maybe you could conduct an official 1 test... But that may well be a little on the corny style. Like me.

Comment: 6

Date: Mon 18/12/2006 03:21 AM

I dont know anyone with really sensitive scales - otherwise I would :)

Comment: 7

Date: Wed 27/12/2006 11:39 PM

Lol - I just entered this to the Mythbusters website. See if they are interested. Click Here